Victoria Genealogical Society
QUERIES & RESEARCH ASSISTANCE
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO FIND?
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?
DO YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND IT?
If you need help to find the answers to these questions then
contact the Victoria Genealogical Society’s Research Teams.
QUERIES - SEARCH SERVICE
Tell us your problem or ask your question and our Queries Team will know where to look for the information that you need in the resources at our disposal. We can look it up for you:
- If you need a will, divorce, obituary, headstone picture or city directory tracing
- If a Coroner’s report will answer the last questions for a family member
- If our VGS catalogue has told you that we have the book that you need but you cannot come to our Resource Centre.
Query responses will be sent electronically wherever possible.
NOTE: A minimum of $10.00 per order is required which is to help cover costs.
PAYMENT METHODS: Fees must be paid in advance once the amount is confirmed by our Queries team.
- Pay online with your credit card OR PayPal account by using the form and button on the right. (Please contact queries if you don't see the rate you need.)
- OR if you prefer, you can pay either by cheque, international (not domestic) money order or bank draft, payable to the "Victoria Genealogical Society". Use our mailing address at the bottom of this page.
- We recommend that you do NOT mail Canadian cash, or do so at your own risk.
For orders from outside Canada, fees must be paid in Canadian dollars .
There are no refunds for entries not found. Please note, it takes longer to do
an unsuccessful search than a successful search. Your chances for a successful
search may depend upon how accurately you are able to describe the search you
wish to have done.
If you have any questions on these policies, or about queries in general, please contact our VGS Queries Coordinator at the address at the bottom of the page.
SET FEES FOR SPECIFIC SEARCHES
|TYPE OF SEARCH||OTHER DETAILS||FEES PER SEARCH|
|BC Probate Files / Probated Wills / Divorce Records / Coroner’s Reports||$20.00|
|Obituary||$10.00 per obituary|
|Burial File Info /
|$5.00 per lookup ($10.00 minimum order)|
|Gravestone Photographs||$15.00 per tombstone or grave marker|
|BC City Directories||We can check hard copy city directories that are not shown on the online indexes on the Vancouver Public Library Directory Index site (contains searchable listings from 1860 to 1955).||$10.00 to search a single family over a 5 year span,
$20.00 over a 10 year span
|British Columbia Vital Event Records||Births, Marriages, Deaths are now available online for free at BC Archives Genealogy Basic Search. If an event is in the index but has not been digitized we may be able to assist you.||$5.00 each ($10.00 minimum order)|
|Resources available in the VGS Resource Centre||Please check our VGS catalogue for a list of our holdings.||Copying fee of $10.00 (minimum order)
for up to 10 pages
|VGS Journal Articles||$5.00 for up to 5 pages
$10.00 for the Journal
|Greater Victoria Pioneers Index||This list contains names of settlers and early residents of Greater Victoria
before 1910, extracted from over 700 newspaper articles.
Names of descendants are also included if mentioned in the article.
Please check in our online Greater Victoria Pioneers Index for names.
|Fee is $10.00 (minimum order) for up to 10 pages. Additional fees will
apply for larger orders.
"1-ON-1" RESEARCH ASSISTANCE (BEGINNERS)
Are you just starting on your family’s history and don’t know where to begin?
Perhaps you're the family custodian of a box of old documents, photos and other memorabilia
and are uncertain where to start?
1-ON-1 Research Assistance is a support service for the person who has decided to start
family history research. It is designed to help a new researcher
understand and organize information, to explain different sources and
the value of those sources and to answer any questions that you may
have. Diana will guide you into the wonderful world of genealogy and
answer your specific questions.
1-ON-1 will give you one uninterrupted hour of support with a dedicated and knowledgeable volunteer at the VGS Resource Centre.
RATES for 1-ON-1: $20.00 per hour.
Examples of some subjects covered:
- Why do you want to do your family tree? What do you expect the finished results to be?
- Do you want to do just your direct line or all family members that you can find?
- Are you going to use a computer program or just a paper copy? Or both?
- What forms can be used for recording your information? How should these be filed and arranged?
- What is the difference between registrations and certificates? What information can be found on these documents? Do you need both?
- Is all genealogical information now found online? How and when should online sources be used? How to bookmark websites?
- Are family trees that have been done by other people good or bad?
- How should sources be noted? Why is it important to do so?
- What should be done with family stories? Can these stories be trusted?
- How should a research plan be devised?
LOOKING FOR FURTHER RESEARCH ASSISTANCE?
Need someone to do your research?
Data entry? Scanning? Home movie conversion? And more!!
Do you have that wonderful box of family “stuff” that Aunt Myrtle left you?
Do you want it preserved? Shared with the family? Organized?
Have you always wondered about your great grandfather and why he came to Canada?
Are you short of time? Don’t know where to start?
If you are answering “yes” to any of the above questions, you need to be speaking to us.
Bring your questions and problems to us and we will do our very best to help you.
Dust off your ancestors and bring them to us to be updated!
FEES: $25.00 per hour plus expenses.
By Mail: (new address effective January, 2013):
Victoria Genealogical Society
100 – 180 Wilson Street
PO Box 45015, Westside PO
Victoria, BC, Canada
Make cheques, bank draft or money orders payable to:
Victoria Genealogical Society
OR pay for VGS Queries online using your credit card or your own PayPal account (using secure PayPal services) - see our payment form near the top of this page.